Saturday, June 5, 2010

Saturday Artisan: Baby Chick Designs


Wonderful Saturday Artisan this week is Baby Chick Designs. If you're planning to decorate little one's room, then you may want to visit this great shop to get something special and personalized.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts that you make?
We make canvas wall art, fine art prints, and growth charts for nurseries and children’s bedrooms/playrooms. My mother is the artist and I handle all of the business side of things! When I was re-decorating my little girl’s room, my mother decided to make some watercolors for her. They were these beautiful barnyard animals designs (which is now our Barnyard Animal Collection.) I knew right away that we should go into business and make these designs available for other families to enjoy at an affordable price.

What is your favourite item in your shop?

My favorite item in our shop right now is the “Safari Giraffe Growth Chart.” This is also one of the most popular designs and the fine art print and canvas wall art Giraffe sells well too!

What is your best seller?

Our best sellers are the Safari Animals Collection, Butterflies with Flowers Collection, and the Transportation Collection. We make our collections in 3’s…so people tend to buy all three designs in a collection for their children’s rooms.

What is your goal for 2010? And are you on the right track?

Our goal for 2010 is to have 10 total collections available for purchase. I think we can make it to nine of those! It is important to have a variety of art for our shop…so people can have lots to choose from. Since it takes my mother 2 months to make a collection, it’s not as fast as other handmade sellers.

What is your favourite tool that you cannot live without?

We just bought a grommet machine for our growth charts…that we cannot live without!

How do you promote your shop?

Facebook, Twitter, my blog, being active in the Etsy forums, and word of mouth!

Any advice for others running their on-line shop?

Communication, fast shipping, and good photos are key! Since you are not in front of the customer to sell your work, these things have to be a priority!

Saving money is important, tell us one thing that you do to save money?

We do all of our own shipping, we buy shipping supplies only when needed, and we’ve negotiate good prices with our vendors!

Any tutorial that you’d like to share, pretty please?

Take quality photos of your work in natural light, then edit them in Picasa, a free software program that you can download to your computer. Use the lightening, highlighting, and shadow features to tweak the photos for the best possible photo.



Here are ways to be in touch with Baby Chick Designs:
Website: http://www.babychickdesigns.com/
Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/babychickdesigns
Twitter: http://twitter.com/babychickdesign
Facebook Fan: http://www.facebook.com/BabyChickDesigns

Stay-tuned for tomorrow's giveaway!

8 comments:

  1. I think your artwork is so adorable and cute! I learned that they are trying to expand their work to 10 collections - I'd be excited to see each and every one of those collections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like babychicks on FB (username:anutinanutshell)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see some sea animals in the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned that believe in communication and fast shipping! Great customer service is definitely important :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shop! ^^ I would love to see sailboats added to the transportation collection, or maybe a few more insects like ladybugs or dragonflies. c: Another idea would be something inspired by outer space like astronauts or planets and comets. c:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina - xristya@rock.com - I learned that they believe in quality customer service, which is always so important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Safari Giraffe growth chart is adorable! I think it would be neat to expand the Safari Animals collection - it's so lovely - maybe hippos, rhinos, antelopes!

    jswaks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wall art in your shop! One thing i would like to see though, is photos of the actual art piece (or a similar piece you have on hand) in the etsy listing, so I can get an idea of what it looks like "in real life" - you know what I mean? Lots of the listings just have pictures of the image but i couldn't really visualize what the physical item would look like! Just a suggestion :) I love your cupcake prints :) Soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete